Saturday, February 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

In honor of my mom's birthday this week, here are 10 things I love about her!


1. Mom knows how to have fun!



The "whipped cream on the nose" Thanksgiving tradition would never have caught on without Mom going along from the start.


2. On a snowy December 22, 1973 you and Dad joined together to start our family.



















3. On another snowy day - December 23, 1974 you became my Mommy!


From the look on your face in this picture, one would never know the physical pain you endured (and would endure in the coming days). You wrote then that "joy replaced the feelings of pain". I always feel loved when I read those words.







4. Thanks for always being there.


I knew that every day I came home from school, you'd be there. If I was sick, you were there. When I came home from a date, there. When there was a piano recital, there. When there was a chance to take your 8 yr old daughter as your date to the symphony or other concert, you chose to be there with me. When I went to the temple, there. When I need advice, there. When my kids have something special to share, you're there for them. When I need a friend, still there.






5. Thanks for sacrificing with Dad so that we could grow up in a great place, with great friends, with room to play (with drinking fountains in the yard!) and in a home where I always feel welcome.
6. You gave me my sister!
(Ok, there's a longer story here, let me explain).


One night we had a chat before bed and I had again prayed for a baby sister. As much as I loved my two brothers, I wanted a sister so badly. I remember wanting a sister more than any Strawberry Shortcake doll or any piano book. You never discouraged my wishing and were always so tender in listening to my prayers. Then finally when I was almost 8, the sister came. My life wouldn't be the same without my sweet sister Carrie.

7. You are multi talented.

Here we are on Randy's blessing day in 1985. Notice the cute smocking resses that Carrie and I are wearing. Remember the play clothes, T-shirts, jammies, bathrobes you used to make? And the beautiful Christmas stockings. Might be time to bust out the sewing machine again for the grandkids!


8. You shared your testimony.


I remember mornings where I woke up to find you in the living room reading your scriptures in your famous red bathrobe. Even when you read alone, I noticed. You always attended Relief Society and Homemaking and served faithfully. I loved it last year when you memored the 1st Presidency's statement of the Living Christ and recited it for us from memory.


9. You make friends for life.

We kids have heard (for years) the stories of your high school bunch and the favorite cousins you played with growing up. I was touched by the beautiful flowers at Dad's funeral from the "Bear Lake High School Class of '68". I was happy to see so many of your cousins at the funeral, having traveled some distance. It was fun to go to lunch with you and your "Lunch Bunch" of friends from the ward this week, and to see your friendships that have lasted for so many years. I remember the "Sew and Tell" group that has remained close for going on 30 years. You make good friends wherever you are.


10. You taught me to love music.

At first I'm sure I wanted to play the piano just to be like Mommy (and not to be left out of the group of kids who came to our house weekly for lessons). But it didn't take long before I loved it! I listened to you play beautiful songs and couldn't wait to learn them. I then learned them more easily because I'd heard you play them for years. When I tried to make my own violin from a shoe box, a wooden spoon and rubber bands, you and Dad gave in and got me a violin. You never forced me, but always encouraged and supported me. I was so honored to play with you when we played Rhapsody in Blue for the stake, and then at the tabernacle for the Freedom Festival. Thanks for being my favorite duet partner!


Bonus #11!!!
11. You are a strong lady!


You haved faced the challenges of the last few months with a strong heart and a positive outlook. I'm sure there are many days when you cook lots of "Tear Soup". I'm sure there are many lonely times. But you have shown me that those times are not all the time. I've loved spending time with you at Deer Valley, Disneyland, Christmas, or just at the house sorting papers. You are stronger than I ever knew.


Happy Birthday to the beautiful lady in the center below. Bust out that tiara and let's sing a round to the birthday girl (with harmony, of course).

(has it really been more than 8 years since our last family picture? We need to work on that...)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Hi Donni,

I'm so glad you told me about your blog. Wow, what a wonderful tribute to your mom. I hope my kids write something like that about me someday. That is so nice!