Sunday, February 15, 2009

Christmas Treasure Boxes

Hayden has never had a "list" of things he hopes to get for Christmas or Birthdays. He can make a toy out of anything. He loves to create things like art projects and lego colonies. He often turns our home into a museum of many wonderful creations. This year I was having a hard time coming up with a special gift for him for Christmas. One night when Hayden was feeling a little sick, he asked for a story. He loves to hear stories about his birth, about our family, cousins and Grandparents, family trips, etc.

The idea came to make a Treasure Box for each of the kids. I shopped many stores before deciding on the right box for each of them. I wanted it to be big enough to store their precious artwork, momentos, other things they might find meaningful. But I wanted it to be small enough that they could each carry it and be responsible for keeping it safe.


Inside each box, I placed some special memories: ultrasound pictures, birthday party invitations, baby pictures, etc. I included a small framed picture (2x2) of Dana and Me on our Wedding Day (they still think it's strange that we could have had a married life together before they were born). I typed up a birth story for each of them and tied it together with sparkly ribbons. We wrote them each a poen and included little notes about what we love most about them.

The boxes were a big hit. Hayden was really touched that he had his special birth story and the memories we'd saved for him. Emma carried her box around for most of the week saying "Mine Box!". She especially liked the wedding pictures and kept saying "Tiny Daddy, Tiny Mommy in Mine Box!". This will be a gift we remember for a long time.



No comments: